Supplies and Tools:
Traeger Lil Tex Elite Wood Pellet Grill Electric smoker
Over Thanksgiving my nephew Josh G. showed us his aunts, uncles and friends that a standard 12-pound turkey didn't have to bake in the oven, it could be smoked. This is a successful thanksgiving post and I never would have imagine that a smoked turkey could add so much flavor. This meal would work on any type of bird and smoking it would add a new delicious dimension to any meal.
This post shows the three steps to cook a smoke turkey.
Step 1: Preheat smoker to 166 degrees Fahrenheit (74.4444 degree Celsius). Fig.1 above right and fig.2 below shows the smoker used during this Thanksgiving. The Traeger Lil Tex Elite Wood Pellet Grill Electric Smoker was used for this holiday meal. Listed below are some of its advantages of the Traeger Electric smoker.
Fuel Type: Wood. Product Type: Smoker. Ignition Type: ElectricalAssembled Depth: 20 in. Number of Shelves: 1. Wheeled: Yes. Grill Material: Steel. Color Family: Black. Cooking Space: 567 sq. in. Assembled Width: 40 in. Heat Output: 20000 BTU. Catch Pan Included: Yes. Assembled Height: 49 in. Sub Brand: Lil Tex Elite. Number of Burners: 1. Heat Thermometer:
|Fig.2 Electric smoker|
|Fig.3 Not Ready |
but almost there
- Turkey should be always kept in the refrigerator below 40° Fahrenheit ( 4.444444 Degrees Celsius) before preparation.
- Prepare an 12 lb. thawed fresh turkey by removing the giblets and neck draining the juices, and clean and rinse the bird thoroughly, drying with paper towels. The turkey should be completely thawed. Remove the pop-up timer!
- Use hot water to help avoid wasting fuel. Place the chips pre-soaked in water for 30 minutes.
- Brush the skin with a combination of the seasoning and spices. Some examples are below for your considerations. Always use mitts and tongs!
- Set the smoker to 300° Fahrenheit (148.88889 Degree Celsius). Place the turkey on a cooking rack and cook for 6 hours. 20-30 minutes a pound to completion.
- Check the temperature of the turkey after 3½ hours. The turkey must pass through a critical range of 140° F (60.0000 Degree Celsius) 4 hours.
- Cover the turkey with aluminum foil and let stand for 20 minutes before carving. The turkey is done when the thigh meat reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit (73.88889 Degree Celsius) and breast for a temperature of 170° Fahrenheit (76.66667 Degree Celsius).
Optional Seasonings ingredients Packet:1 (12 pound) whole turkey
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons seasoned salt
1/2 cup butter
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
Optional Spices ingredients:Salt
Update: DIY Advisor has three new blogs check them today: