Wednesday, July 26, 2017

My Vegan Chronicles - Part 2 of 10 - Juicing, Vegan Films and Instant Pot Cookbooks

WHERE
By Gary Boutin

Supplies and Tools:
Breville Juice Fountain® Cold Electric Juicer
Cookbooks
Instant Pot
® V3

Internet connection
Personal computer/Tablet/Internet Phone

This is the second post of ten posts that will address all the avenues to become a vegan. Use it for reference, use it for information, its up to you. I hope this help new vegan to achieve better health. I have been a vegan for four months. I am still learning, the best of being part of being a vegan is that I learn something new everyday. 

This post shows my trials as I was starting to learn a vegan lifestyle. This post continue to show the progress of the research in a chronically approach. 
 
I was hired by Amazon.com early in December 2016 and I worked 10-hour nights. The work was hard at first standing and packing all night, and I wanted more energy and better health. In the morning I would watch documentaries in hopes of winding down after a long night and finding the answers to my situation. I was incredibly lucky and found a movies that started my health journey. It was called Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead (2010) by Joe Cross. You can watch this film for free here.

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead (2010)
Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead (2010) plot summary was written by Jamin Mendelsohn. A 100 pounds overweight, loaded up on steroids and suffering from a debilitating autoimmune disease, Joe Cross saw himself a 310lb man whose gut was bigger than a beach ball. This film chronicles Joe's personal mission to regain his health. With doctors and conventional medicines unable to help long-term, Joe turns to the only option left, the body's ability to heal itself. He trades in junk food and hits the road with juicer and generator in tow, vowing only to drink fresh fruit and vegetable juice for the next 60 days. Across 3,000 miles Joe has one goal in mind: To get off his pills and achieve a balanced lifestyle.  

Fig.1 and fig.2 shows Joe Cross books. These books made a huge difference in the first month of studying for my health search. Fig.3 shows the Breville - Juice Fountain® Cold Electric Juicer. This is the juicer that I used everyday three time a day.
After the movie I purchased both of Joe Cross books above. Joe Cross's movie made me believe that healthy juicing and eating whole foods could make a difference toward my goal of more healthy energy to get through the day. It worked and I juiced for two month solid with no breaks in between. I drank three 32-ounces container per day. I still ate food but I was careful what I ate.

Bedtime was when I watched Netflix. My next docudrama was called Vegucated (2011). Watch this movie for free here. "The plot summary was written by Marisa Miller Wolfson. Vegucated is a docudrama that follows three meat-and-cheese New Yorker's who agree to adopt a vegan diet for six weeks. They learn what it's all about and have no idea that so much more than steak is at stake. The planet's fate may fall on their plates".
Vegucated (2011)


My next step was to order some vegan cooking books and they were obtained from Amazon.com. These are the cookbooks that Jill McKeever recommended for learning plant-strong cooking. Fig.3 through fig.6 shows four cookbooks that started my understanding of the vegan diet.

  • The China Study Cookbook by Leanne Campbell, PHD.
    Fig.4 -The China Study
  • My Beef with Meat; The healthiest Argument for eating a Plant-Strong Diet, by Rip Esselstyn.
    Fig.5 Rip Esselstyn
  • The Engine 2 Diet takes you on a shopping trip with Engine 2 firefighter Rip Esselstyn where you’ll learn how to make healthy, vegan food like delicious sweet potato lasagna, by Rip Esselstyn.
    Fig.6 Engine 2 Diet
  • Forks over Knives, The Cookbook: by Del Sroufe.
    Fig.7 Fork Over Knives
It took a month to read the books, I ordered on-line. After my shifts I would watch the Roku Channel a food app and it had a food site and within the YouTube site called Simple Daily Recipes. While watching I learned that Jill McKeever used the Instant Pot to cook her family meals. Most of her meals are Vegan, and she gave me the confidence to try to cook myself. Fig.8 shows the Instant Pot V3 and for more information on the Instant Pot click here. Fig.9 shows McKeever Instant Pot cooking without oil. This is the first cookbook that I used and had good food coming out of my labor. Check out #8 below, Jill McKeever shows what she believes are good informative and cookbooks are worth reading.
Fig.8 Instant Pot V3 ®
Fig.9 O M Gee Good
My favorite Jill McKeever of Simple Daily Recipes are below: These recipes are in her book. But some of them are on the YouTube site too.
  1. Thick & Creamy Nacho Sauce. I make this recipe every two weeks. It's delicious and even my wife who is not vegan likes it. 
  2. Awesome Tex-Mex Lasagna Stack. Once a month.
  3. Barbecue Cabbage Sandwiches. Just plain delicious.
  4. Bring Along Black Bean Hash. Made this tonight, just love it.
  5. Butt Vegie Stew; My absolute favorite, can't wait for fall.
  6. Creamed Spinach, delicious over my vegetables.
  7. Vegan Sausage Scramble, I skip the sausage, but its wonderful in the morning.
This is just a few of the wonderful recipes that I have cooked for myself. I hope you enjoy her as much as I do. Jill McKeever of Simple Daily Recipes top 10 on YouTube.

My Vegan Chronicles:
 
  • Cookie Alert: European Union laws requires that you know that this blog uses cookies. If you are concerned about this please click here to see how Google uses this information.
 
Note: The Kiwis To Pistachios assumes no liability for omissions, errors or the outcome of any cooking recipes or cooking tips. The reader must always exercise reasonable caution, and follow current cooking and safety regulations that may apply for each recipe. All rights reserved. © Copyright 2011-

No comments:

Post a Comment